MCHS Senior's "miraculous" recovery from September accident

2011-11-11T23:00:00Z 2011-11-14T09:06:20Z MCHS Senior's "miraculous" recovery from September accidentMISTY MAYNARD Ledger Independent
November 11, 2011 11:00 pm  • 

In September, Chrissy Tull's family believed it was likely she would not be home for Christmas.

 At the time, the 17-year-old Mason County High School student was lying in a hospital bed at Cincinnati Children's Hospital in critical condition.

A little more than two months after the accident that landed Tull in critical condition, she is back home with her family and attending school full-time. In her family's eyes, that makes Chrissy Tully a miracle.

"She beat all the odds," said Tull's mother, Patricia Tull. "She's pretty much back to normal. It's a miracle."

Chrissy Tull was injured Sept. 4, at the Alexandria Fair as she was preparing to take part in a horse show. Tull's sister, Treva Chasteen said Tull was going to show a friend's horse, one she had not ridden before, in the walk/trot show. Prior to the show, Chrissy Tull spent about 10 minutes warming up with the horse and all went well, Chasteen said. While family members went to get Chrissy Tull some lunch, Chasteen said the horse "wobbled and passed out." Chrissy Tull fell, hitting her head, and was pinned by the horse.

Patricia Tull said the family has been involved with horses for years. Chrissy Tull had been riding since she was very young. When a person is involved in horse riding, Patricia Tull said accidents are expected, it's just a matter of when and how severe the accident will be.

When the horse fell Sept. 4, Patricia Tull said everyone expected Chrissy Tull to get up and brush herself off. But she didn't move.

Chrissy Tull sustained a skull fracture and brain swelling. For the first 10 days or so after the accident, doctors concentrated solely on keeping her alive. Even when it appeared she would survive, her recovery was uncertain as the extent of the head injuries and any possible brain damage was not known, Chasteen said.

Patricia Tull said doctors expected Chrissy Tull to not be able to speak for a year and said she might have some limited mobility similar to what a stroke victim might experience.

As Chrissy Tull recovered, however, doctors moved the time frame up for when she could go home. Doctors told Patricia Tull by Nov. 2 her daughter could be home, then began moving the date even closer. Chrissy Tull was able to come home Oct. 26 and might even have come sooner if it weren't for some tests.

Since coming home, Chrissy Tull has been to her first outpatient physical therapy session and Patricia Tull said the first will be her last -- the physical therapist determined Chrissy Tull did not need the therapy.

Chrissy Tull said the only noticeable lingering issue was with her speech. Sometimes she has difficulty remembering a word. It's there, but she just can't seem to say it.

Patricia Tull said her daughter and the family received a lot of support and prayers after the accident. Chrissy Tull said she has had a warm homecoming, full of hugs.

"Everybody's just extremely happy," Chrissy Tull said.

Chrissy Tull herself was happy to exchange the hospital room for her own bedroom and to return to school for her senior year. She looks forward to graduating high school and attending cosmetology school.

Chrissy Tull is also looking forward to next summer for another reason -- she plans to ride once again, despite any risk associated with it.

"It's just the amount of joy you find in something that determines the worth of trying to accomplish it," she said.

Copyright 2016 Ledger Independent. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Comments Posted.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick