BROOKSVILLE -- A Bracken County family lost its home in a fire on Tuesday.

Augusta Fire Chief Jim Wilson said the department was called to a fire at a one-story house in the northern part of the county around 11:20 a.m., Tuesday.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a house engulfed in flames.

Wilson said the family living inside the house was home at the time, but escaped without injury.

"There were five people living in the house," he said. "They were inside making lunch when the fire started. Thankfully, everyone made it out safe."

According to Wilson, Crystal Apolonio, along with her husband and three children were the ones inside the house.

Apolonio told firefighters the fire was caused by the refrigerator.

"She said the fridge blew up," Wilson said. "I've never seen anything like that happen before. The fire marshal just happened to be in the area and came down to assist. He said he had never heard of anything like that either."

Wilson said the family lost everything in the fire, including Christmas presents.

"They lost the Christmas presents; all items and clothing were lost," he said. "The structure was destroyed."

Get breaking news sent instantly to your inbox

Wilson said there is also a picture of what the family needs posted on the Avfd Augusta Facebook page.

Those wanting to assist can also call 606-782-0827 to find out specific needs of the family and to donate.

Mason County Red Cross Director Rebecca Cartmell said the organization was also on scene and is assisting the family.

"We're providing immediate assistance and will work with them on long-term plans," she said.

Wilson said the fire is still under investigation. The Augusta Volunteer Fire Department was on scene until around 3:15 p.m.

The Brooksville VFD, Germantown VFD, Bracken County EMS and Red Cross assisted at the scene.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments