FRANKFORT – Veterans will have a chance to receive help applying for federal and state benefits on Nov. 20.

From 9 a.m. until noon on Nov. 20, a Veterans Benefits field representative will be at the Justice Center in Vanceburg to help Veterans and their dependents receive assistance filing for federal and state benefits.

The service is provided free of charge by the Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs.

“A veteran can potentially file two types of claims,” said Veterans Benefits Field Representative Linda Knighton. “A Service Connected Disability or a Non-Service Connected Pension.”

According to Knighton, a Service Connected Disability is a current diagnosis of a chronic condition that began in service or as a result of service and a treatment history.

A Non-Service Connected Pension is a needs-based benefit paid to eligible wartime veterans who meet certain age or non-service connected disability requirements. Veterans Affairs reviews each applicant’s net worth, gross income and out-of-pocket medical expenses to see if a veteran is eligible.

Surviving spouses could also file two different types of claims, according to Knighton. Those include a Dependency and Indemnity Compensation and a Death Pension.

A Dependency and Indemnity Compensation requires verification that the veteran died of a service connected disability or the veteran was 100% service connected for at least ten years prior to passing.

A Death Pension is a needs based benefit paid to eligible survivors of wartime veterans who meet certain criteria based upon their net worth, gross income and out-of-pocket medical expenses.

To apply, veterans will need to furnish copies of pertinent documentation to verify eligibility.

Get breaking news sent instantly to your inbox

According to Knighton, the type of documentation required depends on the type of claim being filed.

“For example,” Knighton said. “If the veteran is filing a claim for service-connected disability compensation, I would need to see photo identification, verification of military service, a marriage certificate if married, a voided check and any private medical treatment records for the claimed conditions.”

Anyone who needs further information can call 1-866-244-8970 toll-free (within Kentucky) to speak with a Veterans Benefits field representative over the phone.

Field representatives will be in Lewis County every third Monday of each month to assist veterans with filing for benefits.


Load comments