Sitting on the corner of Union Street and Forest Avenue, inside a former tobacco warehouse, Edith Henry Shoes set up shop in Maysville.
The company was owned by Carl Henry Levy, who was born into an affluent Reform Jewish family in Cincinnati in 1913, and his wife, for whom the company was named, Edith Entratter, the daughter of Polish immigrants from the Lower East Side of New York.
After the end of World War II, the Henrys (Carl had dropped his last name) started Lucky Stride Shoes in Maysville, an enormously successful manufacturer of women’s footwear, and both he and Edith worked as executives until their retirement in 1960. It was about this time that the company was sold and eventually, in about 1980, the Maysville facility went dark.
In its heyday, Edith Henry produced high-fashion flats as more and more women entered the work force, an almost unheard of product in the market before.
Many Maysville families owed their livelihood to the "shoe factory" as it was called.
A street near the site of the former shoe factory now bears the name "Edith Henry Drive."