Tucked into a plot of grass between U.S. 68 and Kentucky 11 sits a memorial to John G. Fee High School, a school dedicated to the education of African-Americans before integration.
The school was built in 1930 as a Rosenwald school. It was demolished in the late 1980s or early 1990s when the site was needed for the Mason County Detention Center and after it had been abandoned when students began attending integrated public schools.
The brick memorial features panels containing the likenesses of three men who were held in high esteem by the community, students and staff. They include John Gregg Fee for whom the school was named, a native of Augusta and the founder of Berea College; William Houston Humphrey, a graduate of Berea and the first principal of the school who was instrumental in its establishment; and Oliver Wendell Whyte, the school's second principal.
Before its demolition, almost 500 students graduated from the school. Former students and staff held a reunion at the site, including a dinner and dance, as a last tribute to the school.