Long before sliders were called sliders, a Maysville burger joint produced what some would argue were the tastiest mini burgers of all.
The White Light restaurant system was the property and brainchild of the late Howard Brammer and family. Area residents enjoyed the burgers from 1948 to 1981 at various locations throughout town.
In addition to his White Light location at Third and Limestone streets, Brammer also operated The Bus Station restaurant at the former Greyhound bus terminal at the corner of Limestone and Third streets from 1951 to 1956. His third restaurant, also called White Light, was located at the corner of Forest Avenue and Wood Street from 1948 to 1955.
The secret to the burgers? No one is sure or at least won't tell although local blogs claim the sliders were nothing more than a ball of ground beef (from a local market) smashed on the grill, onions, pickles and mustard on a mini bun. People were known to take them home by the sackful.
It wasn't only burgers that brought customers back again and again to the White Light -- hand-dipped milkshakes, chili and sausage sandwiches also were favorite menu items.
Today, sliders have gone national and are a staple at most every football tailgate party. But before they became a national obsession, there was White Light.